Saturday, March 24, 2012

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese


In the late nineties I was a very pale, very skinny, and very frizzy haired preteen living in Southern Florida. I played Pokemon behind my friends back. I was too scared to stay the whole night at a girlfriends house. I hadn't noticed boys yet. I was a lot of things - none of them cool. 

Then I saw Men In Black. I was in love. Will Smith was my black knight. It was meant to be. I filled all of my trapper keepers with sketches of our sweet half Black, half Jewish babies. I started wearing JNCOS. I memorized all the words to Gettin Jiggy Wit It. I begged my Dad to let me change my last name to Smith.

Sometime during that era my friend Amanda invited me on a trip to West Palm Beach to see an NSYNC concert. I was still pretending to hate boy bands (I didn't), so when I agreed to go I explained to my friend that it was only to get away from my house full of boys. It was a wonderful girls vacation; Amanda's Mom took us to The Gap and let me put sun in my black hair (guess how that turned out?). 

We got to the arena and then something happened - there was going to be a surprise guest performer. 

IT. WAS. WILL. SMITH.

I died. I fake fainted. I cried. I screamed. Then I cried some more. My dreams were literally coming true, WILL FUCKING SMITH. He performed a medley of a few of his hit songs and the moment was over in what felt like a second. I had to sit down I was so overwhelmed. I had never been happier.

I will spend the rest of my life trying to recreate that feeling.


Strawberry Cupcakes
makes 12 - preheat oven to 350 
source: Martha Stewart / Sprinkles Cupcakes

1/2 cup pureed strawberries
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 egg whites




1. Rinse & Puree strawberries. 
2. Sift together dry ingredients. Set aside. 
3. Whisk together milk, pureed strawberries, and vanilla. Set aside.
4. Beat together butter and sugar. 
5. Add egg and egg whites one at a time. Mix until fully blended.
6. Rotate adding the dry mix and milk mixture, ending with the dry mix, until fully blended. 
7. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. 


me + frosting = mess

Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
8oz cream cheese
5-6 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup pureed strawberries
2-3 cups powdered sugar

1. Beat together butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla and strawberries.
2. Add powdered sugar 1/2 at a time until fully mixed.
3. Frost away!


nom nom nom

Letting my freak flag fly,
Ruth Hannah

1 comment:

  1. When I was little, my sister and I split a bedroom and I had the top bunk in a room smattered with all her crazy boy band posters. I remember in particular her Kirk Cameron poster that hung next to the door, as he was my sisters real heartthrob. I swear to this day he winked at me one morning when I woke up.

    I don't know why, I don't know what Kirk's deal is, but he still kinda weirds me out.

    ReplyDelete